Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Missing Mr. Bubbles

ughhhhhhh..... I did have another man in my life..... and his name was Mr. Bubbles. I've had to give him up as well as everything else I love (sushi, wine, snowboarding). I swear, as soon as I get home from the hospital with my new love I am going to have a glass of wine, soak in the bathtub while eating sushi. It.is.going.to.be.amazing!

I know, I know... you can still take baths while pregnant but it has to be in tepid water. Now, who the hell wants to soak in luke warm water? I tried the taking a thermometer and seeing what 102 degrees felt like. Weirdly, it's cold! Our bodies are about 98 degrees themselves so 4 degrees hotter isn't anything to write home about. It's not enjoyable at all and the water just gets colder and colder as you sit there. In another words, no thank you!

If you are just thinking I'm a crazy person, her is what the American Pregnancy Association has to say about it:

What is the concern with hot tubs during pregnancy?

According to the Organization of Teratology Information Services (OTIS), a body temperature of 101º F and above can raise concerns during pregnancy. Some studies have shown an increased risk of birth defects in babies of women who had an increased body temperature during the first trimester of pregnancy.

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) states that becoming overheated in a hot tub is not recommended during pregnancy. ACOG also recommends that pregnant women never let their core body temperature rise above 102.2º F.

Although the specific degree differs, both OTIS and ACOG attest to the concern related to hot tub use during pregnancy.

Hot tubs are often factory programmed to maintain a water temperature of approximately 104º F. It takes only 10-20 minutes in a hot tub to raise your body temperature to 102º F or higher. To maintain a steady temperature, water is circulated and re-circulated through the hot tub to pump out cold water and pump in hot water.

No comments:

Post a Comment